Submission Program Login KORKorean
Submission
Program
Korean

Thank you very much for your participation at the 2023 UNICA KOREA International Film Festival.

Goodbye My Son
Director. Yuichiro Nakada
Country. JapanYear of production. 2018Running time. 15min

Despite glaucoma, Tetsuo spends his days on drawing pictures of fireworks after his wife passed away. One day, his only son, Yuji visits him. Tetsuo is not welcoming his repudiated son, but he hands out his drawing that contains the old memory of his family, watching the back of his son as someone. 

Director's Statement
The traditional feudalistic family system is almost abandoned in Japan nowadays; nevertheless, there still exists the universal values in every generation such as emotional dependence as children towards parents or vice verse. What I wanted to describe in the film was the distortion and divisiveness generated from the relationships among families and strangers, which come from our multiple roles and faces in our societies and families such as parents, friends, and others etc. Despite the fact, I  wanted to specifically portray the parental feelings towards the children and the children’s feelings towards the parents in the film.

trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5WDGaIcAFw

Director

Yuichiro Nakada
After graduating from University of California at Santa Barbara as physics major, he studied astrophysics at Munich University Graduate School in Germany. While working as a research assistant in JAXA, and National Astronomical Observatory in Japan, he took a screen writer’s workshop in Eiga 24ku. In 2018, his debut short film, ‘Goodbye my son’ was selected as an official selection in more than 70 film festivals in the world. In 2019, he participated in the Jidaigeki workshop in Kyoto filmmakers’ lab as a soundman in the Shochiku team. During the filmmaking workshop, he collaborated with the Shochiku production team and other selected members all over the world among 300 applicants. In 2022, his second short film, ‘Gift’ which portrays the family like bond between a Syrian refugee and a solitary Japanese boy will start to be released. Since March 2022, he has been studying in the International Film Business Academy in Busan Asian film school with all aspiring filmmakers in Asia.
Awards

WorldFest-Houston International Film Festival April 2019
Bronze Remi Award

Hongsong international film festival November 2018
Special Jury Award, Best Actor Award

Alaska International Film Awards July 2019
Denali Award

Druk International Film Festival
Outstanding Achievement Award October 2019

Mindfield Film Festival • Albuquerque
Diamond Award in Best short film June 2019

Credit